Welcome to Hobsons Bay Toy Library, Newport Branch
Where children are encouraged to learn and laugh through play.
How does the toy library work?
Membership of the Newport branch of Hobsons Bay Toy Library enables members to select from over 1,600 high quality, educational and fun toys (worth more than $150,000!) to borrow on a regular basis, just like books from a lending library. The toy library caters for children 3 months to 6 years old. Members can borrow three toys per child for up to two weeks.
The toy collection includes puzzles, games, co-ordination toys, imaginative play, train sets, musical instruments, sand and water play, ride-ons, slides, dress-ups, puppets and theatres, party toys and more.
Why are toy libraries valuable?
Toy libraries aim to support families in the local area by providing access to a wide range of high quality toys at an affordable price, and encouraging families to spend time playing with their children. Quality toys are expensive and children quickly become bored with a toy once its play value has been exhausted and as they progress through developmental milestones. By providing new play materials every week or two, parents can save money and significantly contribute towards the development and education of their children.
Benefits of Toy Library Membership
- Encourage childrens independent and imaginative thinking by allowing them to learn new things or challenge existing skills through exploration with different toys
- Test run new/different toys and save money and space on unwanted toys
- Use the variety and versatility of toy library toys to challenge and excite children through play
- Add a highlight to the child’s week (visiting the toy library) and meet other parents and families with young children in the community and share experiences
- Learn about the importance of play and your child’s development